Rock gnomes are the most common of their race in Faerun. Although many adventuring gnomes have taken up illusionary magic, most gnomes prefer the bardic life. Gnomes adore animals, gems, and jokes, especially pranks. They love to learn by personal experience, and are always trying new ways to build things. Gnomes stand 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall, with skin that ranges from dark tan to woody brown. Their hair is fair, and their eyes are often some shade of blue. Gnomes generally wear earth tones, but decorate their clothes intricately. Males favor carefully-trimmed beards. Gnomes live 350 to 500 years.
Gnomish Ability Adjustments: +2 Con, -2 Str.
Favored Class (Bard): A multiclass Rock Gnomes Bard class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
- Small Stature
- +1 size bonus to attack rolls.
- +1 size bonus to AC.
- +4 size bonus to Hide checks.
- Hardiness vs. Illusions: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells.
- Offensive Training vs. Reptilians: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against reptilian humanoids.
- Offensive Training vs. Goblinoids: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against goblinoids (goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
- Defensive Training vs. Giants: +4 dodge bonus to AC against giants.
- Skill Affinity (Listen): +2 racial bonus to Listen checks.
- Skill Affinity (Concentration): +2 racial bonus to Concentration checks.
- Spell Focus (Illusion): Gnomes add +2 DC to any Illusion spells they cast. This is identical to the feat.
- Low-Light Vision: Allows them to see better than normal in the dark.
Special: Gnomes are small creatures and as such they can never use the following Large weapons: bastard sword, dire mace, two-bladed sword, double axe, greataxe, greatsword, halberd, heavy flail, quarterstaff, scythe and spear. Packages: Gnome characters should only choose the default package for their class, as the other packages may give the gnome weapons they cannot use.
- Battle Training vs. Giants
- Battle Training vs. Goblins
- Battle Training vs. Reptilians
- Hardiness vs. Illusions
- Low-light Vision
- Skill Affinity (Concentration)
- Skill Affinity (Listen)
- Small Stature
- Spell Focus (Illusion)